Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Metal Gear Movie?

Metal Gear Movie?
A Cynic's Perspective.

Posted by: Marcus


Before I get into the meat of this article, I'd like to state beforehand that I'm sorry if I haven't gotten around to writing another Mixed Martial Arts based blog for a while, but there really hasn't been anything worth talking about in the sport. It's been business as usual.

With that said, I'm happy that today's post gives me time to talk more about video games, but also get into another of my favorite entertainment genres. That genre is film.

As of late I've been reading little tidbits here and there about the possibility about a movie based on Metal Gear Solid. At first, it sounds like music to my ears. Metal Gear Solid has been my favorite gaming franchise since the second game, and I've constantly defended the grandeur and craftsmanship of the titles to many of my friends who don't know much about the franchise. All in all, it initially sounds like a movie about Metal Gear Solid would be downright amazing, but then I took a little time to step back from the fan's perspective, and look at it differently.

Video Game films are having the same problems that comic book films had from their relaunch. They are currently hard to take seriously. They come across as either campy or crappy, and film makers don't want to touch anything with that reputation. It wasn't until Batman Begins that the sub-genre started to be seen in a more artistic light, rather than just some way to snag money from comic book fanboys. When it comes down to it, video game films haven't had their Batman Begins yet.

With that being said, I'm not sure if I want Metal Gear Solid to try and be that film to the sub-genre. You see, being a video game fan, I didn't really see some of the absurdity until I saw it from a different perspective. If you describe the game as a story about infiltration, the purpose of the soldier, the state of nuclear war, and even ideas about cloning, all in an action packed drama/action film, people like that idea. However, if you tell them that it also has giant robotic walking mechs, light-bending camouflage similar to Predator, and a cyborg ninja, people start to lose interest. It seems less like something to be immersed in, and more like a film that isn't even taking itself seriously at points.

On the other hand, one could make the argument that people's expectations for movies that aren't about real-world situations, but are partially put in them has widened since the comic book movie has regained its popularity and standing in film. People seem to like the idea about a businessman who moonlights as an anti-hero, or a drunken womanizing inventor flying around in an iron suit. Truthfully, Metal Gear Solid isn't a story unlike a comic book in its science-fiction inspirations.

As has been pointed out, I have my doubts, but I can see how it could work. I guess the issue is simply nailing down the right staff to make the movie. To do that, you would need to find a group of producers and studio heads who have either played the games, or at the very least watched the cutscenes. That, in itself, is difficult. However, I think if pitched to the right director, it could be done well. When it comes to directors, my first thought was Christopher Nolan, who directed Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige,
The Dark Knight. and I'd suggest him simply because he has a great ability to take that quasi-absurd notion of the believable being mixed with the impossible. The second would be my favorite director, Ridley Scott. However, it's not because of his more recent films, but because he was the director of Alien, and Blade Runner. Both seem to be movies along similar lines of realism and absurdity, not to mention many of the scenes in the Metal Gear Solid series seem to emulate the cinematography and grotesqueness he uses in his films.

As for the lead roles, I think that it wouldn't be too hard to find people to play Ocelot, Sniper Wolf, Merl, and so forth. However, I think the most trouble would come from playing the two biggest characters of Solid and Liquid Snake. However, three actors came to mind when it came to these characters. I saw Christian Bale as the one actor I could see playing either Solid or Liquid. He's played an insane character, and he's played characters along the lines of Solid Snake. As for Solid himself, aside from Bale I would like to see Hugh Jackman try the role, and I'd like to see Charlie Hunnam (of Sons of Anarchy fame) try his hand at Liquid. Aside from that, I'd like to see if Ron Perlman could play Revolver Ocelot, but that's just me.

Finally, I would like to see the first film be an adaptation of The Twin Snakes, simply because I believe that version of the original game was excellent, and fun to watch and play at the same time. With that being said, I simply don't know what to think about this film being made. I want it to do well, and I want it to be everything that the games are, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. One thing is certain, and that's that we'll get Harry Greggson-Williams for the score, which is always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment