Thursday, September 24, 2009

Multiplicity

Multiplicity
Posted by: Marcus

As anyone who reads this blog has realized up to this point, all of my reviews and game opinions have been based on video games on the X-Box 360. It's a console that I've owned since the release of Dead Rising, and continue to enjoy many of the games that have been released for it. However, I have to say that it certainly has narrowed my view on the scope of gaming in the here and now, and I'm sad to say that I'm ashamed to have ignored other systems out there.

Last week, I picked up a Playstation 3, and I have to say that I'm incredibly impressed with the console. It's sleek looking, runs well, and has plenty of neat features like free online play, an easily rechargeable controller, built-in wireless net, and runs incredibly smooth. Don't get me wrong, I like Sony. I've liked Sony for a long time as a company, but I simply didn't want to pay so much for the console. Truthfully, I should have realized that it would have cost as much as my 360 did with all the accessories I had to buy to give it the same functionality.

However, that's not really why I'm posting this. I'm posting it because of the two games I purchased with the console. Those games are Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and Prince of Persia. Both of these games made my jaw drop from utter shock. Now, I knew these games were going to be good. I knew that because I know the developers, and I know the brand. I also don't buy games that I think are worthless. However, what struck me, and still strikes me, is just how different they are from the convention, and how refreshing it is to play them.

Both games, for better or worse, stand out simply because they aren't following the popular conventions. Prince of Persia is like playing a living watercolor painting. Aside from how smooth it runs, the images are gorgeous to look at. It's also a solid challenge, but changes the formula a bit from previous games. Gone are the sands of time, but it introduces the character of Elika, and with her comes a great story for the game that sucks the player in, and invokes odd emotion for the player at the end.

Metal Gear Solid 4 continues the epic story of Solid Snake and company, and is a majestic conclusion to a great storyline. One thing to note though is that Hideo Kojima was able to not only make a solid sequel to the second and third games simultaneously, but utilize elements of the third game to completely tie the story together, and make the gameplay more fluid. I won't go into too much detail, because I will get off topic, but know that this game is worth the price tag. Any PS3 owner will tell you that even if it were the only game on the console worth playing, it would still be worth it.

Essentially, this is what sparked the love for me. As much as I enjoy my 360, most of the games I had either been buying, or influenced to buy, were games that were nearly dependent on Xbox Live to really be enjoyable. I wasn't always into multiplayer, and playing those two games really ignited a spark in me that may have been near dead. I suddenly stopped caring about ranks, achievements, leaderboards, and the like, and it became about fun again.

So, to close this blog, I simply want to say this: take the time to enjoy something different. Video games, in my opinion, are the best form of entertainment out there, and if you're not enjoying different forms of it, aren't you simply shorting yourself? There are plenty of games out there for you to enjoy that aren't first person shooters or sports games, folks. They're fun, they last more than five hours, and may even leave an impact on you, if you let them.

Let's all be a bit smarter with gaming, people. Instead of buying Halo 3: ODST, why not pick up Brutal Legend instead? Or maybe Assassin's Creed 2? Maybe even Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony?

Think about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment