Monday, February 7, 2011

Random Thoughts on Gundam Seed

As I said in one of my most recent posts on Blistered Thumbs, I'm a huge Gundam fan. Though I haven't seen every series yet, I will say that I love both Gundam Wing and G Gundam, and the original series is pretty good too. I also got a kick out of Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory as well. However, there were quite a few people who told me that I should check out Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed: Destiny at some point, so I decided to check out the first series. So, here I am, fifty episodes later, and I'm sort of scratching my head about a few things. So, let me get the surface thoughts out of the way first, and then finish off with my final thoughts on the series.

- Is it just me, or does this series sort of feel like an amalgamation of every Gundam series to come before it? I don't think it's a coincidence that the Strike and the Aegis have the same color schemes as Wing and Epyon.

- Evidently there are no bras in space.

- So, the key to getting laid as a teenager is to kill people while driving a big robot? God damn it, where's a time machine when you need one?!

- Okay, so a transport got in your way for a split second, and you shoot it anyway. Somebody is certainly compensating.

- Desert Tiger. Ha ha. Terrible Irwin Rommel reference.

- I'm not sure why this series has to constantly put fourteen year old girls in scenes where they're in their underwear. This is kinda awkward.

- Christ almighty! Why did I have to see a kid get melted by a beam sword?

- Now that I'm thinking about it, the gore in this series is downright pointless. Granted, the Gundam series has never shied away from mature content, but it really hasn't made a lot of sense in this scenario.

-What the fuck is with Captain Maskeyface? He's got the depth of a piece of paper when it comes to characterization. His logic is "I'm a clone, so fuck everyone."

- Why is it that the two heads of the two big military nations are trying their best to impersonate Adolf Hitler? All this master race talk is making me ashamed for my German genes.

- Christ almighty, writer! How many times do you have to kill innocents in this show in front of Kira? WTF.

- There were way too many Gundams in this show. When that many show up, they stop being special.

Overall, the show wasn't bad, but it really wasn't that good either. The dub track was very solid, and the action kept the pace going as well. The problem is that it completely fails to really make sense of who I'm supposed to be rooting for during the course of the storyline. It doesn't make sense for me to root for peace when the peaceful people are developing the harshest weapons, and whupping complete and total ass.

It's a fairly average series, but I really don't have any seething desire to see the follow up season. This was an interesting experiment, but I think I'll just rewatch Gundam Wing at this point. That, or G Gundam. In fact, I'm going to give you my favorite part of that particular show. This is from the fight between Sai Saichi and Domon Kasshu. Fucking epic.




This hand of mine is burning red. Maybe I should see a doctor.

-Micah C

No comments:

Post a Comment