Saturday, November 27, 2010

More random thoughts on random stuff

So, I woke up this morning with a killer headache that has just now faded. However, I have a routine when I wake up with a headache and down some ibuprofen to try and get rid of it. What I do is play a playlist on my Zune software of instrumentals, put an ice pack on the sore part of my head, and rest for an hour or two. Thing about doing this is that you're conscious for the entire time while listening to thought provoking music. So, now that my head has stopped aching and I can start picking out subjects to talk about coherently, I've got some good stuff to share.

Let's Talk Sex - I was watching a video review this morning about the film Love and Other Drugs, and the critic made the mistake of telling me that sex was the glue that holds relationships together. I'm sorry, but WHAT?! Are you retarded? Okay, that was a little bit much, but what I will say about that particular critic is that he couldn't be more wrong if he said two plus two equaled cheese. Before I continue, let me say that the difference between this critic and I is probably the fact that I've actually been in a couple relationships. Sex is awesome. In fact, it's probably my favorite thing on earth next to video games and pizza. In fact, just about every time I get really happy I want to bone a woman's brains out. There's a fun story that goes along with that, but I don't want to get sidetracked. Point is that sex is awesome. However, it's not the glue that holds relationships together. What holds relationships together is emotional investment. Can sex affect that? Yes, but my marriage had a very healthy sex life involved in it. I'm divorced. Do the math. Emotions will always be the deciding factor. Love and sex are a beautiful mixture, but you can have one without the other.

Forgive and Forget - A couple weeks ago I had an interesting conversation with one of my best friends. We were talking about one of my biggest fears: The idea of my ex-wife trying to get back into my life. Now, my friend and I are like brothers, but he and his wife still have marginal contact with my ex via Facebook, and there was a time where I was considering moving to his area. Though I made him swear to me that he would never try to get me back in contact with her, he asked me a question that dropped like a bomb. "Have your forgiven and forgotten what happened?" My answer was "Forgiven, yes. Forgotten, no." After that, he told me that he hadn't forgotten either. Afterwards, I realized to myself that I should never forget what she did to me, and that comes to my lesson learned. Forgiveness is beautiful because it allows us to shed ourselves of the bonds of our past. Forgetfulness is idiotic, because it means that we have learned nothing. Never be hesitant to let go of the past things that hurt you, but should someone from the past come back, never forget what happened.

Popular =/= Bad - I've always found it funny that gamers who consider themselves "enlightened" refuse to give a popular video game that's actually good a chance. Case in point is the game I most recently reviewed, Call of Duty: Black Ops. Now, if there is any one person skeptical about the Call of Duty franchise, and modern war shooters in general, it is me. Honestly, this is the first time that I've been genuinely surprised at how good one of these games can get, and I think the 8/10 that I gave it was justified. It's a good game. Is it Half-Life 2 good? God no. It's still good. However, the comment section was riddled with people who seemed to just comment without reading my article, claiming the game was bad. Now, guys, I love you but I know what you're doing. You haven't played the game. You're claiming it's bad just because it's popular, and that's silly. I know that douchebags you went to high school with probably play it too, but why should that curb your enjoyment of games? What if I let that affect the fact that other people out there in life enjoy sex and pizza as well? I'd be freaking miserable. Popular things can be good. Just look at Metallica.

Well, I think that's all I've got. I hope you guys had a good Thanksgiving. Hopefully this week my new lady friend will get in touch with me, and I can take her out on a date or something. I also am hitting the quarter century mark in seven days, so I'm kinda excited about that. Well, next on the table for me is a pinball review, and I'll be getting a review copy of Splatterhouse in as well, so I'm looking forward to it. As usual, leave your comments in the proper place. See you guys later.

- Micah C

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I swear, half of your random shit is both hilarious and thought provoking. And I'm not sure whether that's because I'm almost always on some sort of high or because You're just damn good at your job. Probably a combination of both.

    ReplyDelete