Sunday, November 28, 2010

Revisiting my Reviews - Dragon Age: Origins


Though I've given up my video series for now, there's been a couple things on my mind. First is that I'm considering bringing back A Piece of History. Second is that I wanted to essentially go back over my video reviews, and talk about what made them fun.

First off, I really regret the whole Marcus the Cynic/M dynamic I had. It really didn't work very well. On the other hand, the opening to this episode was epic as all hell. Another thing that you'll notice is how clear the audio is here in comparison to some of my more recent videos. That's because I was actually using my camera as an audio in rather than my microphone. I need a headset, bad.

Another thing that made this review tough was the constant shuffling I had to do with the footage. It's not difficult to capture console footage, but I had to rummage through my numerous save files to really find games that took place at different points of the storyline. Even so, I don't think I got any footage from Orzammar or the Verillian forest in there. Most of it is from the start and end of the game. Word to the wise - Don't make the same mistake.

My biggest regret about this review? I barely touched on the origin stories. I focused way too much on similarities to past Bioware titles, and I really wish that I could go back and do it again. C'est la vie, I guess. What I don't regret is putting a heavy focus on the choices you have to make in the game, and how deep they are. Too many people brush that off about Bioware games, but I think that it's something that needs to be said.

All in all, I think that I did a solid review of the game here, and I do think it's a really good RPG. In fact, I think that it probably has the strongest role playing element of any RPG thus far in this generation. Despite the fact that Dragon Age 2 may be getting simplified, I'm still a little jazzed for the title. Granted, I can turn that switch off the minute the game enters my hands.

-Micah C

No comments:

Post a Comment